A white haired silhouette, dressed in a black containment suit, descended from the steel platform cloaked against the ever present night. The shadow maneuvered around the complex with lithe ease and cat-like grace, balancing precariously upon steel beams with instinctive ease.
She lowered itself into one of the submersion subs used to monitor the status of the plug in the infinite fathoms below. The indicator lights flashed green as the small orb discharged from the launch headed for southwest towards the continent of Australia.
A faint green glow illuminated the cockpit of the submarine. The silhouette eased the controls at the ruins of the dock of the once famous eastern city of Brisbane. Unnoticed, she sealed the cockpit closed and remotely submerged the submarine for retrieval later.
The docks were in a state of burnt out ruin. No effort was made to maintain them as anything other than temporary shelter. Some metal sheets were propped together to form a sort of shanty town surrounding a marketplace where goods were exchanged.
Upon leaving Oceania Complex I have assumed an appellative to individual identity. I call myself Crystal. I was charged with this mission due to my unique distinction within The Complex. I am the first one to be born with an immunity to the toxins contained within the rains. In many ways I am now one of the Night People. The biological mutation inherent within them is also now affecting even the self contained units within The Complex. The bio-domes have insufficient shielding to deflect the constant bombardment of solar and cosmic radiation. The distinction of The Complex being the last bastion of The Master Race is now a fallacy. Only my slight skin pigment separates my appearance from Night People now, and the constant breeze of oily grit will soon cover me completely in camouflage.
Brisbane is a far cry from life within The Complex. There is no effort made here to maintain sanitary conditions. The sociological structures of the Night People seem to have reverted to a primitive culture with aspects of medieval social society mixed in. It is an interesting combination of sociological organizations all sorts of concepts are meshed together in a loosely structured community. Its anthropological significance should be noted for observation of primitive behavioral patterns.
No one has addressed me or made any move to include or shut me out of the community. From this observation, I gather that the Night People are very nomadic and wander from one community substructure to another based on need and personal desire.
My visual targeting systems are out of order here. I will have to rely on manual targeting if I am faced with an altercation. I have armed myself with our standard plasma assault rifle with several sonic flash grenades in case I need to dispel a crowd. The Night People do not seem to possess any of the old military surplus weapons we had been concerned about here, at least they are not on display anywhere in the market circle. I have received a few looks, more for my weapon, then any notice of my appearance. I will attempt to make contact and extract more information tomorrow.
- Nightspawn: (The Shadows of Night Saga) Part 1 (excursionsintoimagination.wordpress.com)
- Nightcrawlers (The Shadows of Night Saga) (excursionsintoimagination.wordpress.com)
- Fiction Reviews – Originally Published on Tangent Online (sjbwrites.com)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Authors Who Served in the Military, and How it Changed Their Work (io9.com)
- Strings on a Shadow Puppet, T. L. Evans (SKP/TLE, 2013) (sophyanempire.wordpress.com)
- Musing on art history and science fiction (hellarreviews.wordpress.com)
- Looking for new SF books hiding in the general fiction section (ask.metafilter.com)
- Why Science Fiction is the Best Type of Fiction… (sistersofthepen.wordpress.com)
- 22 Science Books That Are So Exciting They Read Like Genre Fiction (io9.com)
- Did the very first science fiction magazine appear in Russia in 1894? (io9.com)